Sunday, February 20, 2011

Presidential Pearls of Wisdom

President Samuelson explained the importance of accepting callings. Please describe how you plan to respond to different calls that will come to you over your lifetime.

In the church we do not seek callings neither do we reject them. When a calling comes my way I plan on accepting it. Even though Bruce R. McConkie was too busy to realistically perform his calling he was still willing to accept it. I will trust my Priesthood leaders to know enough about my situation and to act under the influence of the spirit and conventional wisdom. They may retract the call but I will always be willing to accept it and do my best to fulfill it.

President Samuelson identified the practice of being “too critical” of ourselves as being worse in effect than not being critical enough. How do your expectations of your own performance effect how you serve as a leader. How do you intend to avoid the practice of over self criticism?

When I am being over critical of myself I find that my relationships with others suffer. I am no longer focused on serving them but I am drowning in my own pool of self pity. Being overcritical of yourself is a form of egocentrism. It blocks my ability to lead with confidence and act with boldness.

To avoid this problem I plan on staying in touch with realistic expectations. The reason I am over critical of myself is that my expectations are not realistic. I have more patience for the shortcomings of others than I do for my own. I feel like i need to treat myself with a little of that critical equality. I'll continue to hold myself to a high standard of performance just as I hold those I associate to a high standard as well.

President Samuelson shared his method of organizing his plans to include, long term, mid term and short term. What approach do you currently use in organizing the work you are responsible for?

Thanks to Hilary I have become an avid user of the planner. It helps me track the things which I need to do each day and the month view helps me see the more long term tasks. I keep running lists of all the things I need to do this year. I have separate logs for the different areas of my life. I am able to track my financial progress through specific records I've designed for that purpose. In my personal journal I track my progress in obtaining my personal goals. I always try to see the end from the beginning so that I can plan accordingly.

Please describe your motive for serving in BYUSA. Has this motive changed or evolved as the year has gone by?

Currently my motive for serving in BYUSA is to give back to my community. I have been greatly blessed to come to Brigham Young University and I feel like I should offer something in return. I don't want to be a leech on the resources here and not replenish any of them. The motive has changed a number of times over the course of the year. It started out as a way to diversify my resume and to get a sense of personal achievement. Then it became about getting involved and doing something besides school. Then it became what it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment