Sunday, March 20, 2011

Dean Kau in the House

"When we serve others we are not motivated by selfishness, but by charity." Please describe an experience where you have had the opportunity to be motivated by charity in your leadership experience.

As an Assistant to the President in the Yerevan Armenia Mission there were many times when I felt like I was motivated by charity in my leadership. When I thought about the missionaries which I was called to serve I felt a real concern for their well-being and success. For once in my life I felt like I wasn't trying to make it about me. I just wanted what was best for the missionaries. It was about them.

Why is it important for you to serve and lead now?

There is no better time to do something than the present time. When we procrastinate and say that we'll serve and lead later we run the risk of losing the opportunity all together. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Opportunities to serve and lead do not have eternal life spans. They are here to be taken advantage of and then they are gone. How tragic it would be to miss one such opportunity because of that quiet thief of time procrastination.

How will you prepare yourself to be ready for those unexpected opportunities to lead and serve, like the college students who saved the truck driver who had fallen off of the causeway?

When it comes to being prepared I always try to remember the words of Winston Churchill:

“TO EVERY MAN THERE COMES IN HIS
LIFETIME THAT SPECIAL MOMENT WHEN HE IS
FIGURATIVELY TAPPED ON THE SHOULDER AND
OFFERED A CHANCE TO DO A VERY SPECIAL
THING, UNIQUE TO HIM AND FITTED TO HIS
TALENTS. WHAT A TRAGEDY IF THAT MOMENT
FINDS HIM UNPREPARED OR UNQUALIFIED FOR
THAT WHICH WOULD BE HIS FINEST HOUR.”

Being prepared for you finest hour means doing the small things each and every day. In order to lead effectively you have to start preparing for that moment when you will be called upon. You have to begin to get the mindset that you will you answer the call. It has to be decided long before the opportunity presents itself or you will undoubtedly let it slip away.

No comments:

Post a Comment