Sunday, October 3, 2010

Adrian's Miracle

What are some ways that you have encouraged others to generate creative, resourceful solutions to problems and what were the outcomes? Please use a specific incident in your answer.


One of the recent experiences I've had with encouraging someone was with my Care week advertising Wizard, Taylor Carver. At first she was worried about my vision and the things I wanted to see for the Care week theme and brand. Then one day she came into the office and we had what people in the biz would call a heart to heart. I encouraged her to make the Care week brand her own personal project, her "baby" if you will. She responded to this encouragement like a real solider. She began thinking of great ideas and was uninhibited by the shackles of my personal vision. She came up with great themes and possible brands all on her own. The creativity really began when I told her she had the lead and the freedom on this project. It was incredible to see what she was capable of.

In your opinion, what are the most important behaviors (as defined in your student manual) in getting results with a project or problem? Explain why you have chosen these ad use specific personal examples to add merit to your claim.

The two most important behaviors in getting results are communicates powerfully and prolifically, inspires and motivates others to high performance, and builds relationships. The truly great leaders of history knew that surrounding yourself with the right people and using their abilities to achieve results was the sure way to success. When you get people on the same page and seeing the same vision, you enhance the probability of getting results because you are cashing in on the skills of more than just one person.

You can see this principle in action in the early days of the Church. Joseph Smith was not good at everything and openly admitted that fact. He was a master however of communicating, inspiring, and building relationships. He was able to achieve great results because he used the abilities of those around him. This is especially evident when the Saints built Nauvoo.



What are your personal strengths in getting results on projects or problems, and how can you use and implement them in your current leadership position to benefit your team?


I believe my personal strengths in getting results are my ability to organize and communicate with people. I would like to use my ability to organize in the effort of making this Fall 2010 Care week the most successful Care week to date. We want more advertising, more participation, and more money raised for worthy causes. To do this I'll need to be incredibly well organized and responsible. As far as communicating with people, I want to use that ability to form stronger relationships with club presidents and their members. This year as a clubs area we are working on changing the perception of BYUSA in the eyes of the student body, one student at a time. If I can just do this one small thing, I believe the area will be greatly benefited as my fellow team members use their personal strengths to pursue the same vision and goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment