Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Christy's Killer Moves

INTERPERSONAL SKILLS - Values Diversity

This week I'm attempting to become the Great Appreciator. I want to appreciate what every one brings to the table and not judge them because I would do or say things differently.

1. Are you looking for opportunities in the organization to develop all the people who work with you?
This is something I've honestly focused on with the Care Week team. I'm looking to develop them as leaders and as doers and organizers. I want them to keep coming back to find great success in BYUSA and be future leaders in our organization. In just the 7 weeks we've been working together I've seen much growth in many of the team members, Tori especially. I see her as a future E.D. in the clubs area.

This project is more than just trying to put on a killer Care Week. It's also about the experience that my team is having with BYUSA and the feelings of belonging and accomplishment which come with it.

2. Does it matter if they are different from you?
I'm actually quite happy that they are not like me. If we had 8 Petes on the team then we would really be in trouble. The fact that they are different is underlying strength of the team. The only thing we need to have in common is a purpose. The skills and abilities of each team member are critical to making the event a success. As soon as a team realizes that they don't have to be the same is when the team takes its first step towards greatness.

For example, Emily has the love and respect of the entire team which she uses to influence the rest of the team to fulfill their responsibilities. No one wants to let Emily down.

Hannah is always happy and positive which is infectious. Brandon brings comic relief and Ciaira cares more about people than anyone I've ever met.

3. Do you enjoy working with people who have diverse perspectives and opinions?
I enjoy working with all sorts of people... now. There was a dark time in my life when I wanted to work with people like me exclusively. I now realize how much I would be missing out on if I still subscribed to that same belief. It takes all kinds.


No comments:

Post a Comment