Sunday, September 19, 2010

In Nathan's Ward

Motive is the central element of the Divine centered Leadership Model. Please describe what motivates you to volunteer as a leader in BYUSA.

A sense of accomplishment and making a difference are the things which motivate me the most in my BYUSA service. There is no better feeling than realizing that you have accomplished something worthwhile. At the end of our merciless blitz of club advertising on unsuspecting freshmen at NSO, my volunteers and I were covered in Otter Pop juice. We had been in the heat all day, we were sunburned and exhausted but that sense of accomplishment made it all worth it.

Making a difference in students' BYU experience is remarkable. It's really what keeps you coming back when life has you strapped into the dog sled of tribulation and is cracking the whip over your head.

In the Quote that was a part of last nights discussion, Theodore Roosevelt gives credit in life to those who are “In the Arena.” Describe what you think it means to be in the Arena, and how you plan to be involved this year and throughout your lives.

Being "In the Arena" means living life with gusto and living it to it's fullest. It may not always be pretty but the man in the arena is consistently trying, giving his best effort everyday and in every fight he finds himself engaged in. The man in the arena is focused and concentrates his energies on the task at hand.

This year I plan on having that same focus and singleness of mind. When it's time to serve I don't want to be thinking about other things. I plan on giving my full attention to the task at hand, trusting that if I attack the other areas of my life with the same resolve, everything will turn out for the best.

Divine-centered leaders need to know each heart. Describe an experience you have had with a leader who has taken time to know you. How did their efforts improve your experience? How can you reach out to those you lead?

My mission president, the Honorable Ronald J. Dunn, was a leader in my life who took the time to know me. His efforts with me were far deeper than just your mediocre small talk or casual attempt at pretending you know someone. His interest and care for me made my mission. It improved my ability as a missionary and gave me the confidence to lead when the time came.

I want out to those I lead the same way in which President Dunn reached out to me. I want to take an active interest in my volunteers' lives and be there for them the same way my mission president was there for me. I will let each one know that he or she is a valuable part of the team and that their specific talents and abilities are appreciated and needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment